*

*
Reds Insider
From news of the day to news of the weird, John Fay provides a glimpse of what it’s like to cover the Cincinnati Reds

John Fay
John Fay has been the Reds beat writer for the Enquirer since 2001. Prior to that, he served in a variety of roles for the Enquirer: backup Reds writer, UC beat writer, backup Bengals writer and as a general assignment reporter. He is a Cincinnati native and a graduate of Elder High School and the University of Dayton.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

On Saturday's starter

Pete Mackanin said no decision had been made on who will start for the Reds Saturday. But Matt Belisle, who was listed at probable starter for the first game of Louisville's doubleheader, did not start.

Ramon Ramirez did.

Victor Santos was scheduled to start Game 2.

So my guess is Belisle's starting against the Marlins Saturday here.


10 Comments:

at 6:52 PM Blogger starbuck said...

Why do the Reds keep playing the same old game? Haven't we seen what Belisle, Ramirez, Santos, Dumatrait,Coffey, Stanton, Guardado can do? Well, of course we have. The problem is that the Reds have NO PITCHERS at the AAA level who can help this team. So, we keep playing the same old "let's draw a name out of the hat" and see what comes up. It is clearly evident that in order for this team to compete next year there MUST be some major changes to the pitching staff. This year has become a joke as far as the pitching is concerned.

 
at 6:54 PM Blogger starbuck said...

Why do the Reds keep playing the same old game? Haven't we seen what Belisle, Ramirez, Santos, Dumatrait,Coffey, Stanton, Guardado can do? Well, of course we have. The problem is that the Reds have NO PITCHERS at the AAA level who can help this team. So, we keep playing the same old "let's draw a name out of the hat" and see what comes up. It is clearly evident that in order for this team to compete next year there MUST be some major changes to the pitching staff. This year has become a joke as far as the pitching is concerned.

 
at 8:19 PM Blogger Mark said...

why do people keep saying the reds shouldn't give Ramirez another shot? I understand everyone else but geez.

He was straight up dealin' last year before his shoulder problems kicked in. Case in point- The Houston game with like 8 or 9 strikeouts in a row. Thats what he is capable of doing and he's got the talent.

He's only 24 or 25 years old, also, and has gotten 1 start all year.

 
at 8:28 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

John

Why does the Reds braintrust guard these things like their state secrets?

 
at 8:50 PM Blogger John Fay said...

Frankly, I don't know.

 
at 9:17 PM Anonymous mikec said...

I agree with Mark. There was a period last year where Ramirez was one of the best Reds starters. And he's what 24? He only started to blow it after his shoulder get screwed up after Narron in a fit of brilliance used him in an extra inning game and then the next night as a STARTER. Now that's a good way to treat a good young pitcher.

 
at 1:29 AM Anonymous Red Faced said...

Without a doubt Ramirez deserves a shot at starting more games. I thought he pitched brilliantly at times last year and I've been wondering why he didn't get called up sooner this year. His last start wasn't all that bad either. Give him the ball and let him prove himself.

 
at 11:57 AM Blogger Cheviot Sports Authority said...

LOL, Belisle. If he hasn't got it right by now, what the hell are the chances that 10 days at AAA made him a big league starter? A bit off of the subject and I don't mean to put you on the spot, but John, do you know who the real moron is? Is it Castellini or is it Krivsky or both? I have been blaming it all on Krivsky, but Castellini did hire him and also gave Narron the contract extension. Who really finally fired Narron? Was it Castellini or Weepy Wayne? And who is really responsible for Votto and Bruce not getting early call ups so they can plan for next season, when this team is destined to finish at or near the bottom? I know you probably won't want to answer those questions because it wouldn't endear you to Reds ownership. But it sure would be nice to get an insiders opinion.

 
at 12:19 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is that the real MORON is CSA.

Votto and Bruce are responsible for them not being brought up. How many failed experiments with players that aren't ready does it take before the light comes on?

 
at 3:53 PM Blogger Cheviot Sports Authority said...

Of course you are correct mr anonymous. Lets see what the 37 year old Hatteberg can do for the rest of season. The Reds should keep guys like Votto, Bruce, Bailey, Livingston, Dumatrait and so on at Louisville until they are at least 30 years old. That way when they become eligible for free agency, they will be so old that no else wants them. I see your thinking. You are a real genius. No reason to bring them up this season because we are in a real battle to stay out of the basement.

You bring them up NOW and if they bomb out, so what, at least you know what you have.

 
Post a Comment*

* Our online blogs currently are hosted and operated by a third party, namely, Blogger.com. You are now leaving the Cincinnati.Com website and will be linked to Blogger.com's registration page. The Blogger.com site and its associated services are not controlled by Cincinnati.Com and different terms of use and privacy policy will apply to your use of the Blogger.com site and services.

By proceeding and/or registering with Blogger.com you agree and understand that Cincinnati.Com is not responsible for the Blogger.com site you are about to access or for any service you may use while on the Blogger.com site. << Home


Blogs


Jim Borgman
Today at the Forum
Paul Daugherty
Politics Extra
N. Ky. Politics
Pop culture review
Cincytainment
Who's News
Television
Roller Derby Diva
Art
CinStages Buzz....
The Foodie Report
cincyMOMS
Classical music
John Fay's Reds Insider
Bengals
High school sports
NCAA
UC Sports
CiN Weekly staff
Soundcheck

Advertisement